How to overcome anxiety at work? Follow these simple steps to retrieve balance and feel better.
What is an anxiety disorder?
An anxiety disorder is a type of mental health condition. If you want to get to know this term better or check how many of the physical symptoms refers to you, visit the link below:
Your mental health is crucial in life and career satisfaction. Take care of yourself because no one will do it for you!
Anxiety disorders are a huge problem nowadays. Remote workplace anxiety became an official term lately. People during pandemic struggle with work-related stress on new levels, standing face to face with the source of fear in their four walls with no safe place to escape to. There is no office we can leave, there is no fresh air on our way home from work. So how to deal with the work anxiety to not struggle with mental illness after some time? Adequate sleep, managing stress in daily life should reduce anxiety and lower the stress levels related to work life. Our worries, meeting deadlines and negative thoughts, which make us feel nervous, are the root cause of intense anxiety and feeling overwhelmed by the work environment.
Workplace anxiety affects general mental health.
The pandemic, and the war disrupted our daily living routines and the way we work. It is completely natural for this disruption and uncertainty to lead to anxiety and stress. But how to deal with them when you still need to be productive and do your job every day?
Anxiety and depression association
Depression is getting more and more common these days. Why? People spend much more time at home. They don’t face the sources of their stress and problems. Dealing with public speaking, workplace stress, lunch break, and talks with co-workers can reduce stress on some levels and provide temporary relief, leaving us with a sense of win and rise to the challenge.
What happens if we spend the whole “workday” at home and afterward without changing the environment we try to take a rest? Here is the answer. We feel anxious, and overwhelmed and there is no way of reducing anxiety. We finished work, we have free time, and we can close the laptop, present moment, just for us. Is it how it looks? Of course not. The same table, the same chair, the same room is what is in our mind closely related to putting effort and hard work to have our role well played. To do a list on every wall to not forget about the tasks, sounds familiar? If yes, think about trying to manage anxiety by providing changes in your daily life schedule.
Open a separate space to work, separate for rest. Keep your balance.
Changing the environment can be an important part of letting yourself take a rest and forget for a moment or two about your career duties. Don’t spend the whole day in a one room. Try to go out, meet people, focus on your hobbies, things that make you relaxed and happy not related with your job. Eat well! People forget how good nutrition can be a treatment in a long run for broadly understood health. Medically reviewed is how relevant is nutrient-dense foods that help you manage anxiety.
Now more than ever, we all must take care of our mental health and well-being. So take a look at these infographics with 10 helpful ways to overcome anxiety while working.
- Relax – try Deep Breathing technique or some meditation apps like Headspace or Calm to calm down.
- Meditate at home – you can start from something as simple as Guide to Meditation by Headspace on Netflix. It is proven that meditation has a positive influence on your lives in general, helps overcome anxiety and even depression.
- Take a Power Nap to gain some extra powers.
- Try Journaling to let your emotions out – write down your feelings and do not fight them. Just accept them.
- Give yourself a time out – go for a 10 minutes walk, do some stretching or dance.
- Listen to the music you love to change perspective.
- Smile even if you don’t feel like it – there is scientific evidence that smiling can help the body and mind recover from stress, and overcome anxiety at the workplace.
- Eat some dark chocolate, in order to boost the production of feel-good hormones called endorphins.
- Take a coffee break with someone you like, if you can’t meet in person, call your friend for a virtual coffee.
- Avoid conflicts, prioritize and organize your work to feel more comfortable.
- Make your own list of values, positive mantras or statements that resonate with you, and take a look at it every time you need to gain a bigger picture.
Hope this list will be helpful for you!
If you want to find out more about overcoming stress and anxiety at work take a look at this: How to deal with anxiety – 4 steps first aid kit.